Cone Zone - Road Construction Updates
Major Road Projects:
Ryan Road Concrete Repairs- 14 Mile Road to Metropolitan Parkway
The City of Sterling Heights will be performing concrete repairs on Ryan Road from 14 Mile Road to Metro Parkway beginning April 28th and be completed in July 2022. The project will replace deteriorated concrete joints along with larger concrete patch areas to address areas of deteriorated concrete on Ryan Road. Pavement saw cutting operations in the middle three lanes of Ryan road will continue until May 13th followed by the start of pavement removal in the curb lanes of Ryan road.
The project will be completed in four phases, access to all businesses and residential homes on Ryan Road will remain open to traffic during construction. Please see the Resident Letter and Project Location Map for more information.
Phase 1 - 14 Mile to 15 Mile: Starting on or about May 2nd, the outer (curb) lanes of Ryan road will be closed to traffic for concrete repairs.
Phase 2 - 14 Mile to 15 Mile: Following Stage 1 construction, the inner three lanes will be closed for repairs. Left turns will be restricted during this phase to protect workers and the new concrete.
Phase 3 - 15 Mile to Metro Parkway: Upon completion of Phase 2, the outer (curb) lanes of Ryan road between 15 Mile Road and Metro Parkway will be closed to traffic for repairs.
Phase 4 – 15 Mile to Metro Parkway: Following Stage 3 construction, the inner three lanes will be closed for repairs. Left turns will be restricted during this phase to protect workers and the new concrete.If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Engineering at 586-446-2720.
Metropolitan Parkway Resurfacing: Dequindre Road to Ryan Road
Pavement Milling operations are scheduled to take place April 29th at the intersection of Metropolitan Parkway and Ryan Road.
Delays should be expected and alternate routes are advised.
The MCDR will begin a project to resurface Metro Parkway from Dequindre Road to Ryan Road on Tuesday, April 12 with the traffic control setup. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained on Metro Parkway. Additionally, due to the Ryan Road intersection being included in the project, Ryan Road will be reduced to one lane in each direction at Metro Parkway. The project will replace deteriorated curb and provide a new asphalt surface.
The project is anticipated to be completed in early to mid-August. The project is a Macomb County Department of Roads project and they can be reached at 586-463-8671 with any questions regrading the project.
The Innovate Mound project will involve the reconstruction of Mound Road from M-59 to I-696. The project started on August 16, 2021 with construction completion in the Summer of 2024. The first phase of construction will occur between M-59 and the Sterling Relief Drain located north of 15 Mile Road. Please see the links below for project information, construction updates and to subscribe to the Innovate Mound newsletter.
19 Mile Road Closure at Mound Road
Starting May 17, 19 Mile Road will be closed at the intersection of Mound Road. The closure is anticipated to remain in place until June 7 (estimated dates subject to change). Local access will be maintained to all businesses along 19 Mile Road. 19 Mile Road through traffic will be detoured at Ryan Road and Van Dyke Avenue.
The detour for 19 Mile Road is as follows:
- Eastbound 19 Mile Road – 19 Mile Road to southbound Ryan Road to EB 18 Mile Road to northbound Van Dyke Avenue to 19 Mile Road
- Westbound 19 Mile Road – 19 Mile Road to southbound Van Dyke Avenue to Westbound 18 Mile Road to northbound Ryan Road to 19 Mile Road
18 ½ Mile Road Westbound Closure
Beginning May 19, westbound 18 ½ Mile Road will be closed at the intersection of Mound Road. The closure is anticipated to remain in place until June 9 (estimated dates subject to change). Local access will be maintained to all residences along 18 ½ Mile Road. 18 ½ Mile Road through traffic will be detoured at 18 Mile Road and Ryan Road.
The detour for 18 ½ Mile Road (west of Mound Road) is as follows:
- From southbound Mound Road to westbound 18 ½ Mile Road – Westbound 18 Mile Road to Ryan Road
- From westbound 18 ½ Mile Road to Mound Road – Ryan Road to eastbound 18 Mile Road
The Innovate Mound Project will be continued the reconstruction of Mound Road from M-59 to north of 15 Mile Road starting Tuesday, March 1. Work will begin with left lane closures on Mound Road in both directions between M-59 and 15 Mile to begin preparation for stage construction. On Thursday, March 3, northbound and southbound Mound traffic will be shifted with two lanes maintained in each direction on the left lane and temporary pavement to begin reconstruction of the outside lanes. Mound Road traffic will remain in this configuration until mid-August of 2022 when traffic will be shifted to the newly constructed outside lanes to allow for the reconstruction of the median lanes and crossovers. Future lane closure updates will be provided in advance of any lane closure and/or closures on the Mile Roads.Residents and businesses requiring immediate assistance can contact the construction ombudsman, Jon Bailey, at 1-855-MOUND-4U (1-855-668-6348). The ombudsman is available 24 hours a day. For all other questions and information, please contact the Innovate Mound project team.
Get Real Time Travel times here: Innovate Mound Real Time Travel Times
Subscribe to the Innovate Mound Construction Updates
Schoenherr Road Final Punchlist Work
Final punch-list work on Schoenherr Road between the Plumbrook Drain and north of Clinton River Road in Sterling Heights is underway. The road will remain open to thru traffic with lane closures in place during rehabilitation operations. Single lane closures will only be in place during work operations which are anticipated to take approximately 10-15 days in total over three separate operations. The entire job is anticipated to be completed by the end of June (estimated dates are subject to change). This work is part of bridge rehabilitation and includes asphalt repairs and epoxy overlay. Any questions or concerns can be directed to the Macomb County Department of Roads at 586-463-8671 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Streetlight LED Conversion
The City of Sterling Heights has 2,540 streetlights. Over 700 of the streetlights currently utilize energy efficient LED technology for illumination. The City has contracted with DTE Lighting to replace the remaining streetlight heads with LED fixtures. The new fixtures utilize less energy and have a lifespan 3 times that of the existing heads. The project is anticipated to begin the week of April 19th and be completed within approximately 90 days. The contractor installing the lighting is Universal Lighting. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Engineering at 586-446-2720.
The Macomb County Department of Public Works will be performing rehabilitation work on the Macomb Interceptor located along 15 Mile Road between the ITC corridor and Hayes Road. One lane of eastbound 15 Mile Road between Morningdale Drive and Hayes will be closed beginning September 8, 2021 and will remain closed until the Fall of 2022 to allow for this work to be completed. Additionally, the East Half of the Fontana Drive Boulevard will be closed between September 2021 and late Spring 2022. Access to Fontana Drive will be maintained on the west half of the boulevard entrance with two-way traffic. Please see the letter below for additional information.
2022 Local Road Reconstruction Projects:
- Ashburton Place, Barcroft Way, Rockingham Drive and Torrington Drive- Concrete Reconstruction
Resident Letter Phasing Diagram
- Cavant Drive- Concrete Reconstruction
Resident Letter Phasing Diagram
- Colfax Drive and Mint Court- Concrete Reconstruction
Resident Letter Phasing Diagram
- Cooper Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- De Grove Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Fordwich Drive - Concrete Reconstruction
- Lancaster Drive- Concrete Reconstruction
Resident Letter Phasing Diagram
- Malibu Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Mandale Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Mill Pond Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Orban Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Red Oak Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Sleigh Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Steede Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Tulane Drive Concrete Reconstruction
- Woodford Drive Concrete Reconstruction
2022 Sectional Concrete Road Projects:
- Marksway Court- Sectional Concrete Repair
- Mac-Rae Drive - Moers Drive to 400' North, Sectional Concrete Repair
- Picket Ridge Drive - North 600', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Streamview Drive- Patch Repairs, Sectional Concrete Repair
- Suffield Lane - West 150', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Kurch Drive - Rowe Drive to Melbourne Dr, Concrete Sectional Repair
- Rowe Drive - South 300' Concrete Sectional Repair
- Lodge Drive - South 400', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Jefferson Drive- Middle 450', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Iroquois Drive- South 350', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Sebastian Lane Drive- Mary Ann Drive to Ida Drive Sectional Concrete Repair
- Mary Ann Drive- East 200', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Jefferson Drive- Mid 450', Sectional Concrete Repair
- Ashby Drive- Oakbrook School to Greenway, Sectional Concrete Repair
To receive regular project updates via email or text, visit sterling-heights.net/notifyme and subscribe to Cone Zone and Project specific alerts.