Scholastic Home-schooling Resources
From now until April 25, Scholastic is graciously providing libraries two of its homeschooling resources for free! Please use the limited-time logins listed beneath each resource.
- Watch & Learn Library - (Grades PreK-3) Access a collection of more than 230+ videos with real-world footage to build science, social studies, and social emotional background knowledge. Available in both English and Spanish.
- User ID: wall46
- Password: blue
- Scholastic Teachables - (Grades PreK-6) Find over 25,000+ printable educational materials. These resources include summer reading packs, leveled learning collections, leveled mini-books, skill sheets, projects, soft assessments, lesson plans, clip art and much more.
- User ID: schteachables46
- Password: blue
- Tutor.com - Get free tutoring from a live instructor over the web. Available from noon to midnight.
- Noodle Tools - A free website that contains NoodleBib (help with bibliographies) and NoodleQuest (search strategy assistance).
- Atlapedia - For a term paper on China or a quiz on France, here are maps and facts on government, culture, climate, and more.
- The Annenberg/CPB Project Exhibits Collection - A great place to start. Contains information on subjects from why civilizations collapse to what makes us who we are. The site also has some interactive features including a personality test and a chance to design your own roller coaster.
- The Discovery Channel Online - Site offers a wide variety of stories related to the TV program. Learn about everything!
- Information Please Almanac - The online version of the popular reference book for facts and statistical information.
- My Virtual Reference Desk - Link to other online reference tools like dictionaries, encyclopedias, atlases, thesauri, quotation books, and other sources.
Books & Writing
- Internet Classics Archive - Select from a list of 441 works of classical literature by 59 different authors. Contains full-text versions.
- IPL Research & Writing for High School and College Students - A great resource from the Internet Public Library to help you write that term paper.
- Merriam Webster Dictionary - A dictionary, thesaurus and more. Also offers word games and bit of language history.
- Project Gutenberg - A library of over 60,000 free eBooks. You will find the world’s great literature here, with focus on older works.
- Strunk’s Elements of Style - The online version of the “must have” style bible.
Math & Science
- The Biology Project - An interactive online resource for learning biology from the University of Arizona.
- How Stuff Works - How does a car engine work? What makes the inside of your refrigerator cold? Use this site to find out the answers to these burning questions and more.
- Scientific American - Articles from the current issue of the magazine and links related to the featured articles.
History & Government
- Labyrinth - Georgetown University’s Labyrinth is a good place to start for medieval history.
College & Career Planning
- Accredited & Affordable Colleges Online - Free, in-depth resources to help students find accredited, budget-friendly online college and university degree programs.
- Armed Forces Careers - Check out military careers and benefits.
- College Board - Site with a scholarship search, a career search, and a college search. See if you can answer the SAT Question of the Day.
- College, College Scholarships, and Online Degrees - Site developed by a team of veteran professional educators who have developed this and other websites to make it as easy as possible for students of all ages to pursue post secondary education.
- Collegexpress - Good site for the transfer student. Also has financial aid information.
- College Net - Links to college sites, scholarship sites, and links to other interesting sites.
- College Raptor - a free college search platform for students and families designed to help students discover their best fit colleges, including estimated personal net costs, acceptance odds and student loan amounts at any school in the United States.
- Go College - Search engine that will search for the right college for you based on your selection criteria.
- GoodCall Scholarship Search Engine - One of the largest databases of scholarships on the web. It’s free to use and requires no personal information.
- EdRef College Search Directory - Free detailed information on thousands of US colleges, universities, and post-secondary trade schools. School info includes admission requirements, degrees & majors, contact info, test scores, student diversity, religious affiliations, athletics, tuition expenses, etc.
- Educational Testing Service - Site with the testing and deadline dates for the SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, and LSAT. Access to US News online information on schools and aid.
- Embark.com - Information and advice on scholarships, loans, grants, fellowships, work-study programs, and other funding sources.
- FastWeb - A Financial Aid Calculator, EFC estimates, and links to financial aid offices.
- Financial Aid Information Page - A comprehensive site with sources of aid and loans, special interest sites, and links to vendors.
- Homeless and Low-Income Higher Education - A special guide to help college students who struggle with reliable housing, bills, tuition and other financial challenges.
- How to Study for the GRE - A comprehensive guide for preparing for the GRE.
- MoneyGeek - A finance guide that helps students understand common (and uncommon) ways of financing your education or lowering your expenses.
- Online College Guide - A great free resource for finding the best online college. It features hundreds of verified consumer reviews alongside the information you need to make an informed decision.
- Peterson - A site with guides that are well respected in the educational field.
- Sallie Mae - Find funding for educational loans. Take Financial Aid 101, download a brochure, or try one of the calculators.
- Scholarship Help - A site written for students, by students. Contains plenty of information about the scholarship process.
- Smart Scholar’s Guide to Student Loan Resources - A comprehensive list of informational websites that give you the most in-depth information on taking and repaying student loans to help finance your college education.
- Student Loan Guide - An excellent resource that will help you make the right consumer decision when selecting your student loan.