Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Sterling Heights Housing Commission will accept applications for the Housing Choice Voucher program waiting list on January 4, 2021 beginning at 10:00 a.m. until 200 applicants have applied, through the SHHCVP website.
The HCV waiting list will close once 200 online submissions are received.
Apply online ONLY at www.shhcvp.com.
Paper Applications will not be available.
Please note, income guidelines apply.
Housing Choice Voucher Program Info
- The Housing Commission will not activate the website until January 4, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. EST
- Applications may be submitted online January 4, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. until the first 200 submissions are received. No paper applications will be accepted; applications are not available at the Housing Commission or City of Sterling Heights offices. Please do not call or visit either of these offices as the application will not be available.
- Applicants may submit only one (1) application electronically per adult.
- Once the online application format is accessed, the application process should take approximately 5 minutes to complete.
- Upon the closing of the enrollment period, the Housing Commission will place the first 200 applicants on the waiting list. Once 200 submissions are received, the website will shut down and the waiting list will be closed. Applicants will be ranked in order of preference given to persons that live, work or have a verifiable job opportunity in the City of Sterling Heights, Michigan.
- The Housing Commission maintains one waiting list for the Housing Choice Voucher program. Do not call the SHHC or City of Sterling Heights office to check whether you were placed on the waiting list.
- Applicants should have the following information readily available for all family members to complete the application:
- First and last names of the Head of Household
- A valid mailing address
- A valid phone number
- A valid Email address (Once you submit your information, you will receive a confirmation of submission)
If the required information is not provided, the application will not be submitted and processed.
- Locate a secure computer with internet access prior to the application opening to ensure you are able to submit.
- Check with local libraries, schools, social service agencies, and friends if you do not own a computer.
- Establish an email address. If you do not have an email address, obtain one free of charge through Yahoo or Google. Once you establish the email address, retain the email address for the application process and to receive future information and communications from the Sterling Heights Housing Commission.
Income limits by family size:
1 - $27,500
2 - $30,550
3 - $31,400
4 - $39,250
5 - $42,400
6 - $45,505
7 - $48,700
8 - $51,850
For recorded information, call (586) 264-6410
Frequently Asked Questions
Q) How do I obtain an application to apply for the Sterling Heights Housing Choice Voucher program?
A) Applications will only be available online at: www.shhcvp.com on January 4, 2021 beginning at 10:00 a.m. until 200 submission have been received.
No paper applications will be distributed.
Q) Are applications available at the Sterling Heights Housing Commission or City Hall?
A) No, applications are not available at the Sterling Heights Housing Commission or City Hall.
Q) Should I come to the City of Sterling Heights to apply?
A) No, paper applications are not available at any location in the City of Sterling Heights.
Q) Is the Housing Commission or City Hall providing access to computers?
A) No, applicants must locate a computer to complete an application.
- Suggested sites: public libraries, schools, social service agencies, friends.
- Prior contact at the above locations is recommended to schedule time for a computer.
Q) How do I obtain an email address?
A) All Housing Choice Voucher applicants must have an email account in order to submit their applications.
- Email accounts are available for free at: www.yahoo.com or www.google.com or any other service provider.
Q) If I would like to edit my application, should I resubmit a second one with the updated information?
A) No. If you would like to edit your application, you must provide your edits, in writing, to the SHHC. If multiple applications are submitted by the same person, all applications will be removed from the submissions.
Q) If I am one of the applicants, how and when will I be notified?
A) Applicants will receive an email confirmation that their information has been submitted. The Sterling Heights Housing Commission will notify the successfully submitted applicants via regular mail by January 31, 2021 with instructions to complete the Pre-Application Process.
Q) If I am placed on the waiting list, will I definitely receive a housing choice voucher?
A) No, the application process is used to create the waiting list. Applicants on the waiting list will be interviewed to determine eligibility prior to issuing Housing Choice Vouchers, in accordance with HUD regulations and funding availability.
Q) When I apply online, do I apply for myself or my entire family?
A) The Housing Choice Voucher pre-application will request information for the head of household and all family members. You will only list persons that will reside in your Housing Choice Voucher household.
Q) What information will I be required to provide when I apply on January 4, 2021?
A) The following information is required when completing the application:
- Legal First/Last name of head of household
- A valid mailing address (must have address number and street, apartment number if applicable, city, state and zip code)
- A valid phone number
- A valid Email address
- Birthdate for the head of household