The Police Department lobby and the parking lot located in front of the Department is now available to be used by buyers and sellers who connect on Craigslist and other online markets. The goal of this “Safe Zone” designation is to help prevent any potential crimes that could occur and keep residents of Sterling Heights safe if they choose to engage in online transactions with strangers.
In terms of transaction procedures, police personnel may not participate or act as official witnesses in the transactions. They are also not available for legal advice or to settle disputes.
The SHPD also offers the following safety tips for completing online transactions:
• Conduct transactions with local buyers/sellers
• Do not go to a transaction alone
• Make sure someone is aware of the transaction details
• Insist on meeting in a public place or “Safe Zone”
• Do not go into someone else’s house, and do not allow them into yours
• Complete the transaction during daylight hours
• Only use cash or money orders to complete your transaction
• Trust your instincts, if it sounds like a scam it probably is.
Media with questions can contact Lt. Mario Bastianelli at (586) 446-2804.