Acceptable & Unacceptable Items
- Tissue (including color)
- Wrapping Paper
- All containers marked 1-7
- No motor oil containers
Glass, Bottles & Jars
- Clean and discard lids
- No ceramic of any kind
Tin Cans, Small Metal Items & Empty Aerosol Cans
Aerosol cans must be empty
Clean cans and remove both ends and flatten
Only magnetic metals
Small metal items such as clothes hangers, silverware, pipe, clean pots and pans, etc.
Clean pie pans, TV dinner trays, lawn furniture, and cans
Storm or screen doors (remove glass)
Newspapers, Inserts & Junk Mail
Newspaper and all inserts that come with the newspaper (staples OK). Newsprint Ads.
Tie with string or place in paper bag.
Magazines, Glossy Advertisements, Catalogs & Telephone Books
- Glossy advertisements magazines and catalogs
- Tie securely with string or put in paper bag with newspapers
Paperboard & Boxboard Boxes
Only clean empty paper boxes such as:
- Cereal boxes
- Cracker and cake boxes, etc.
- Detergent boxes
- Frozen food boxes
- No milk or juice cartons or drink boxes
- Paper towel roll (inside core)
- Pizza boxes (outside box only)
- Pop and beer cartons
- Remove all food, plastic, cellophane, foil, and liners
- Discard packing material, loose food, or badly stained cardboard
- Fold or cut into 2 foot by 3 foot pieces. Tie securely or bundle with paperboard and boxboard.
Used Motor Oil
The Sterling Heights Recycling Center will no longer accept waste oil for environmental reasons. Residents looking to dispose of waste or used motor oil can dispose of it at any of the following local and regional businesses:
- Pep Boys Auto
- Auto Zone
- O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Walmart Tire and Lube Express
- Advanced Auto Parts
- Valvoline Instant Oil Change
If you have any questions, please contact DPW at (586) 446-2440.