Property Tax Information
General Tax Information
In order to ensure accurate billing, it is imperative that any change in your information be communicated to the city. Examples of that change include:
- Mortgage Company - call Treasury at 586-446-2780
- Transfer of Ownership - call Assessing at 586-446-2340
- Principal Residence Information - call Assessing at 586-446-2340
At the present time, all properties located in the city of Sterling Heights receive 2 tax bills per year.
- A summer tax bill from the City Treasurer's Office (mailed to the taxpayer in late June, payable July 1 through the first business day in September without penalty)
- A winter tax bill from the City Treasurer's Office (mailed to the taxpayer in late November, payable December 1 through February 28 without penalty)
- After September 1, any balance left on a Summer Tax bill is assessed a late payment penalty of 1/2% per month through the end of February. On March 1, any balance on Summer or Winter tax bills is assessed an additional 3% interest and then transferred to Macomb County where additional penalties are assessed.
Property Tax Information Online
View property tax information online.
If you pay your own taxes (rather than an escrow agent), a return addressed envelope is provided with your city property tax bill. Please utilize this return envelope when paying your current year city property taxes to ensure accurate and expedient delivery.
- In order to ensure proper credit, please include your Parcel I.D. number on your check made payable to "Treasurer, City of Sterling Heights."
- The correct mailing address for Property Taxes is:
City of Sterling HeightsDepartment 296201PO Box 55000Detroit, MI 48255-2962
- Payment drop boxes are available for use on the city center campus. Drop boxes are secured and can be used to make any payment to the city. They are located in the lobbies of the Police Department and on the City Center's west side circle drive median island.
- To pay by credit card, call toll-free at 800-272-9829, or access the payment website (enter jurisdiction code 3258). Official Payments Corp. charges a convenience fee for this service.
- To pay online from a checking or savings account, please click on the ePay icon on the left side of this page, choose Pay Property Taxes, then select the eCheck option.
- The payment of a City tax bill after February 28 (or a tax bill from a prior year) must be made at the Macomb County Building located at:
1 South MainMount Clemens, MI 48043Phone: 586-469-5190