Child Safety Seats
Did you know 90% of child safety seats used are improperly installed? There will always be kids and there will always be new parents and grandparents caring for growing children.
Kids will continue to be at risk if adult caregivers don’t get the message that kids in their care must be properly restrained. Traffic crashes are the leading cause of death and injury among children.
Parents and caregivers need to understand how important it is to have their child safety seats inspected by a certified child passenger safety technician. The Sterling Heights Police Department is dedicated to keeping our kids safe and it is anticipated that all 6 CORE Officers will be certified child passenger safety technicians by February 2018.
Unfortunately many “home improvement” schemes are aimed at senior citizens. Many included:
- Free Home inspections or surveys
- Request for a large down payment or deposit
- A quote of a low price for home repairs
- Signing contracts using collateral
To avoid being taken advantage of, here are some helpful tips:
- Be skeptical of door-to-door solicitors
- Do not rush into home repair decisions
- Obtain several written estimates
- Ask to see a contractor’s license
- Ask for references
- Obtain a detailed written contract and estimate stating what will be done, the time frame and cost
- Pay minimal money up front
- Inspect the work as it is progressing
- Do not allow strangers into your home