To address the evolving challenges of COVID-19, the Sterling Heights Public Library has a new plan for fall services. Beginning Tuesday, Sep. 8, the library will offer new services, hours of operation, and an adaptable programming schedule.
Home Delivery Service
Residents with children doing virtual classes or who are staying home due to safety concerns will be able to receive contactless deliveries of library materials to their doorstep. To schedule a delivery, residents can make an appointment by calling 586-446-2665 and pressing 4 for home delivery. A library card will be required to enjoy this service. Residents can apply for a card online or by visiting the library’s lobby in person.
Hours of Operation
To accommodate the home delivery service and ensure proper staffing levels throughout the pandemic, the library will alter its regular hours of operation for the remainder of 2020. The library will be open:
- Monday-Thursday – 9:30 am – 8 pm
- Friday – 1 - 5 pm
- Saturday – 9:30 am – 5 pm
- Sunday (beginning Sept. 13) – 1 – 5 pm
The library will continue to offer the use of the photocopier, faxing and limited one-hour computer appointments that can be scheduled from one day to one week in advance. The library will also continue curbside pickup of materials in front of the library by the statue. Signs are posted to direct patrons.
The library is also unveiling Creativebug, a new digital service providing library cardholders free access to videos, workshops, and resources for at-home arts & crafts. Cardholders can click here to access Creativebug.
Given the limitations of COVID-19 and the library’s ongoing building renovations, the library had to get creative with its fall programming lineup. Any performances or discussions that do not require audiovisual equipment will be hosted outside the Children’s Garden at the library. If a program requires audiovisual equipment or there is inclement weather, the event will move to a virtual format. Similarly, craft programs will be held outside if possible. If they cannot, the crafts will be available in ready-to-go craft kits that can be acquired through the library’s curbside pickup service.
The library is currently undergoing renovations that had been planned well before the pandemic began. The renovations are currently in Construction Phase 1, and close to 75 percent of the building is under construction. Phase 1 is expected to end in late October. Once Construction Phase 2 begins, the remaining 25 percent of the building will be under construction. Depending on how COVID-19 progresses, a limited number of patrons may be allowed to browse the collection inside the library during Construction Phase 2. The second, and final, phase of construction is expected to be done in early 2021.