News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/2/2020 11:40:11 AM to 12/1/2020 12:05:05 PM.

News Flash

Press Releases

Posted on: September 2, 2020

[ARCHIVED] The Sterling Heights Public Library reveals fall plans amidst rapid changes

To address the evolving challenges of COVID-19, the Sterling Heights Public Library has revealed its plans for the fall. Beginning Tuesday, Sept. 8, the library will offer new services, hours of operation and an adaptable programming schedule.

Residents with children doing virtual classes or who are staying home due to safety concerns will be able to receive contactless deliveries of library materials to their doorstep. “We understand the problems that many in our community have been facing, and we want to help,” said Sterling Heights Public Library Director Tammy Turgeon. “We are thrilled to offer a new home delivery service for residents.” To schedule a delivery, residents can make an appointment by calling 586-446-2665 and pressing 4 for home delivery. A library card will be required to enjoy this service. Residents can apply for a card online at or by visiting the library’s lobby in person.
To accommodate the home delivery service and ensure proper staffing levels throughout the pandemic, the library will alter its regular hours of operation for the remainder of 2020. The library will be open:

  • Monday-Thursday – 9:30 am – 8 pm
  • Friday – 1 - 5 pm
  • Saturday – 9:30 am – 5 pm
  • Sunday (beginning Sept. 13) – 1 – 5 pm

The library will continue to offer the use of the photocopier, faxing and limited one-hour computer appointments that can be scheduled from one day to one week in advance. The library will also continue curbside pickup of materials in front of the library by the statue. Signs are posted to direct patrons.

The library is also unveiling CreativeBug, a new digital service providing library cardholders free access to videos, workshops, and resources for at-home arts & crafts. “We know that stay-at-home activities are in demand now, and will only increase in demand as the weather turns colder,” said Jason Groth, the library’s Public Relations & Programs Coordinator. “We think this is a timely add-on to our digital services and hope it’s a welcome supplement to our traditional programming.” To access CreativeBug, residents can visit

Given the limitations of COVID-19 and the library’s ongoing building renovations, the library had to get creative with its fall programming lineup. “We initially hoped to offer in-person events at the Community Center but prepared alternate plans in case COVID made it impractical,” said Groth. Given the state of COVID-19, the alternate plans have been put into place on all programs between now and Oct. 19. Any performances or discussions that do not require audiovisual equipment will be hosted outside the Children’s Garden at the library. If a program requires audiovisual equipment or there is inclement weather, the event will move to a virtual format. Similarly, craft programs will be held outside if possible. If they cannot, the crafts will be available in ready-to-go craft kits that can be acquired through the library’s curbside pickup service.

The library is currently undergoing renovations that had been planned well before the pandemic began. The renovations are currently in Construction Phase 1, and nearly 75 percent of the building is under construction. Phase 1 is expected to end in late October. Once Construction Phase 2 begins, the remaining 25 percent of the building will be under construction. Depending on how COVID-19 progresses, a limited number of patrons may be allowed to browse the collection inside the library during Construction Phase 2. The second, and final phase of construction is expected to be done in early 2021.

For more information about the Sterling Heights Public Library, please call 586-446-2640 or visit

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Press Releases