Today, the Sterling Heights Fire Department responded to an early morning apartment fire at the Kingsley Apartments at 34800 Moravian Road.
Crews were alerted to the fire just after 5:13 am this morning, and a prompt response from four of the City’s five fire stations allowed crews to quickly bring the fire under control.
Two occupants of the apartment were injured while attempting to extinguish the fire. One of the victims, a female, was taken to Ascension Macomb with non-life threatening burn injuries. The second floor unit where the fire occurred was severely damaged, and the unit below is uninhabitable due to water damage.
“A couple of great safety lessons can be learned from this fire,” said Sterling Heights Fire Chief Chris Martin. “The first is that working smoke detectors alerted the residents of the fire and helped saved lives. The second is that this fire was caused by unattended cooking on a stovetop, which is extremely dangerous and a common cause of fires in the home. Fire safety should be perpetual, but as we approach fire safety month, it is especially important for families to review fire safety practices in their own homes, including making sure there are working smoke detectors.”
For more information, please contact Fire Chief Chris Martin at 586-446-2951 or email@example.com.