At 1:37 a.m. on July 5, the Sterling Heights Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire in the 4100 block of Vera Court (15 Mile & Ryan Road area).
Upon arrival, Engine 3 found an attached garage fully involved with fire, which was extending into the home. It took crews from Stations 1, 3, 4 and 5 to bring the fire under control, which took about 20 minutes. There were no injuries, but there was extensive damage to the home.
The homeowner reported that they had used fireworks on the evening of July 4 and put the used fireworks in the garbage cans alongside the house. The fireworks caught the garbage on fire and the fire extended up into the attic of the garage, spreading quickly through the garage, as it was undetected for some time. Damage is estimated to be $150,000.
The Fire Department continues to urge residents to use fireworks safely, which includes the proper disposal of used fireworks. Used fireworks should be submerged or soaked with water. They should be disposed of in non-combustible storage containers and stored outside and away from any structure.
For more information, please contact Chief Martin at 586-446-2951 or firstname.lastname@example.org.