The City of Sterling Heights invites artists to submit sculpture designs for consideration to be installed in highly visible locations at parks around Sterling Heights in either Fall 2018 or Spring/Summer 2019.
The chosen sculptures will be permanently added to the City’s art collection and celebrated with a ribbon cutting and plaque installation. The sculpture must be made from a durable material and able to withstand the elements of Michigan weather.
The sculptures will be promoted to City residents and artists through print and social media and highlighted in numerous community arts and culture events— as well as the City’s Digital Art Map. Artists can learn more about the City’s existing Public Art collection at www.sterling-heights.net/publicart.
It is also the hope of the City that the artist or artists will take into consideration aspects of its Visioning 2030 vision statement and guiding principles when proposing artwork for the City campus:
Vision Statement: A vibrant, inclusive community for residents and businesses that is safe, active, progressive and distinctive. Sterling Heights - a bold vision for an exceptional quality of life.
- Safe, well maintained and desirable neighborhoods enhanced by great schools
- Plentiful leisure and recreation opportunities featuring fully utilized parks
- Abundant pathways for biking and walking
- Focal points that are both public and private to serve as destinations for residents and visitors
- Well maintained and aesthetically pleasing roads and green spaces
- Successful, vibrant and attractive commercial centers with unique offerings
- Destination for high-tech and emerging industries and entrepreneurs
The City plans to choose up to three sculptures for installation under an RFP Process, one or more of which may be part of a community-wide vote. Selected artists will be notified before December 1, 2018.
- DESCRIPTION // Brief one-page narrative description of the concept for the work. Include in the narrative the sculpture’s scale, types of material and colors.
- VISUAL REPRESENTATION // Visual representation of the sculpture in any of the following formats:
a. Colored graphic or artist illustration depicting the project.
b. A model of the proposal.
c. Digital image/rendering.
- INSTALLATION // Details should be provided on how the artist plans to handle installation and timeline required to create sculpture.
- RESUME // A current artist resume including past experience with public art.
- REFERENCES // Up to three references including name, project type, contact number and email address(es).
- Submissions can be emailed to email@example.com; or mailed to:
City of Sterling Heights
Attn: Community Relations
40555 Utica Road
Sterling Heights, MI 48313
ELIGIBILITY: Artists must be 18 years of age and over.
BUDGET: Maximum budget of $60,000 for up to three sculptures, but as few as one sculpture depending on content and quality of submissions. Proposed cost must include all aspects, design, fabrication and installation.
DEADLINE: 4:00 p.m., September 28, 2018.
QUESTIONS: Community Relations Director Bridget Kozlowski, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include email subject line “Sculpture Submission 2018.”