News Flash

Press Releases

Posted on: November 14, 2018

Family Treated for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. the Sterling Heights Fire Department was called for a possible gas leak in a home in the 8000 block of Tinkler Rd., with people feeling ill.


Upon arrival, the Fire Department was confronted with three individuals from one family showing signs of severe carbon monoxide poisoning. The residents were already out of the house, and fire crews began evaluating and treating them. A fourth family member was already at school, so the Fire Department responded to the school and removed him to be taken to the hospital. Additional crews began to inspect the home and air monitors showed very high readings of carbon monoxide as soon as they entered the home.


Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and completed a search of the home while the home was ventilated with fresh air. Consumers Power was called to the scene and was able to determine that the furnace had a faulty heat exchanger, which caused the buildup of carbon monoxide in the home.


All four members of the family were taken to William Beaumont Troy Hospital for treatment and are expected to make a full recovery. According to Fire Chief Chris Martin, “These residents are very lucky because the level of carbon monoxide in the home was at a fatal level”. There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home. With the heating season upon us, residents are reminded of the importance of installing and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors in the home. These detectors can save the life of you and your loved ones.


Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on every level of your home, as well as close to any sleeping area. It is also important to maintain your furnace and other appliances that burn fuel, as these appliances generate carbon monoxide. For more information on carbon monoxide safety, please visit the resource links below.

www.usfa.fema.gov

www.nfpa.org


For more information, please contact Fire Chief Chris Martin at 586-446-2951 or via e-mail at cmartin@sterling-heights.net.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Press Releases

Street Art Brightens Sterling Heights

Posted on: October 2, 2018